Monday, September 26, 2016

Book Review: Like a River Glorious by Rae Carson @raecarson

Like a River Glorious by Rae Carson book cover and review
Like a River Glorious is more relentless than the first book, Walk on Earth a Stranger.

Leah (Lee) and her friends are subjected to one hardship after another as they try to stake their claims and defend themselves against claim jumpers and much worse.

I like Leah because she's so strong. She makes a decision and goes for it.  She has come to love the rest of the caravan like family and is constantly worried for their safety, given she knows her Uncle Hiram is coming after her. I love every character in this book, even those that are evil.  Carson is really good at building them up. Every time Hiram appeared on the page I got an uncomfortable feeling in my stomach.

Jefferson is still her good friend, and he has made it clear he wants more than friendship. I won't say any more about that.  Leah's powers are continuing to help, and there's more to that aspect of the story too.

I enjoy these stories because the are historically accurate, and history is my favorite genre. But, they have the little touch of magic that adds additional excitement and intrigue.

The ending is satisfying.  They are in a good place.  But I'm sure it's not going to stay that way since there's going to be another book.  Like a River Glorious can be recommended to teens who like historical fiction or magic -- this one should satisfy both. But I highly recommend reading Walk on Earth a Stranger first.

Published by Greenwillow, September 27, 2016
eARC obtained from Edelweiss
416 pages

Rating: 5/5





Back to Annette's Book Spot Homepage Copyright © 2016 Annette's Book Spot. All Rights Reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting! I LOVE comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...