Monday, January 9, 2017

Book Review: Wayfarer, by Alexandra Bracken

Wayfarer is one of the most fascinating books I've ever read when it comes to the time travel aspects, but I wish it would have been a bit shorter. Wayfarer is the sequel to Passenger, and if you check out that review, you will see the first paragraph says almost exactly the same thing.

I think Wayfarer starts shortly after Passenger ends.  But my first issue with the book is that it didn't give me enough reminders about what happened in Passenger.  I read it a year ago, and the details are fuzzy.  I know there's a fine line when it comes to recaps.  I certainly don't what a review of the entire story, but some authors do a better job of just dropping reminders every once in a while.  I was lost at times,  especially trying to remember all the names and relationships.

We switch POVs (and times) between Etta and Nicolas as they try to find each other as well as the astrolabe. They encounter several people who help them and several that are trying to stop them. Almost everyone is lying about something. During the first half of the book, they are mostly jumping from time to time, building relationships and investigating, but they aren't getting any closer to each other or to the astrolabe.  It just goes on and on. The book turned out to be over 500 pages long, so there isn't a need to pad the story.  Once we get to the second half, the pace ramps up a bit and you can feel the tension mounting as we reach the stunning conclusion.

It isn't that the writing is bad.  The descriptions are beautiful.  The setting and characterizations are vivid.  There's just too much setup before we get to the action.

I really enjoyed the end.  It was unexpected and intriguing. It is refreshing to have a two-book series for a change. I will recommend Wayfarer to my time travel fans for sure.

Published by Disney-Hyperion, January 3, 2017
Review copy obtained from the publisher
532 pages

Rating: 3/5





Back to Annette's Book Spot Homepage Copyright © 2017 Annette's Book Spot. All Rights Reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting! I LOVE comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...