Tuesday, July 11, 2017

Book Review: King's Cage by Victoria Aveyard

King's Cage by Victoria Aveyard book cover and review
King's Cage does a great job continuing the story of the Red Queen and is very exciting and tense.

Mare is in big trouble.  She's a prisoner of King Maven and can't use her power. She sees no way out.  But during her awful imprisonment, things are progressing among the rebels and eventually they assist in Mare's escape.

Cal, of course, is working with the rebellion, and I liked how his relationship with Mare progressed once they were reunited.

There is a lot of fighting and a lot of planning to fight.  During her imprisonment, Mare is very introspective and kind of whiny.  I get she's miserable, but that went on perhaps a bit too long. The final battle is epic, but the turn things take at the very end is heartbreaking.

I really love the world that Aveyard has created.  I enjoyed looking at the map in the book -- normally, those don't do much for me, but the idea that this is a future United States is intriguing.  I like the hints we get about the distant past and how the world came to be this way.  I hope we get more of that in future books.

What will the future hold for Mare and Cal and the entire kingdom?  Once again, we will have to wait.  The Red Queen is a very popular series among my teens and they are loving this installment.

Published by HarperTeen, February 7, 2017
Copy obtained from the library
528 pages

Rating: 4/5





Back to Annette's Book Spot Homepage Copyright © 2017 Annette's Book Spot. All Rights Reserved

2 comments:

  1. It's good to hear a second in a series is good; I always worry the first one is a fluke

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read this one yet. I started listening to it, but got it from the library at a point I couldn't listen and had to return it! I need to pick this one up again!

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I LOVE comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...