Monday, July 31, 2017

Book Review: A Promise of Ruin by Cuyler Overholt @CuylerOverholt ‏

A Promise of Ruin, by Cuyler Overholt book cover and review
In my review for A Deadly Affection, I commented that I was thoroughly entertained by the main character.  I continue my affection for Dr. Genevieve Summerford in this second book, A Promise of Ruin.

Genevieve is a doctor of psychiatry in the early 1900s.  So, she's a woman doctor, which is almost unheard of.  And her specialty is psychiatry, which is not a very respected specialty, even among male doctors.  A Promise of Ruin doesn't focus too much on her role as a physician, but once again, she's involved in the investigation of a crime, or in this case many crimes.  It seems women are being kidnapped as they arrive in this country, expecting to marry their sweetheart.  Instead, they are kidnapped and forced into prostitution.

I do like that Genevieve keeps the police in the loop about what she finds out in her investigation.  And at least some of the police believe her and try to look into these disappearances.  Her relationship with Simon has not progressed, and Genevieve is disappointed that he doesn't seem interested.

She's determined to find out what is going on, and of course, ends up putting herself in harm's way. I did think that A Promise of Ruin took a bit longer to get going, but by the halfway point, I had to finish. I couldn't put it down. I appreciate her determination to find the truth and her manipulation of a society that isn't very conducive to women doing anything of any importance.

Being a fan of historical fiction and mysteries, these books just hit the right spot for me. I know at times Genevieve is a bit lucky, but that's part of the fun.  I hope Overholt continues this series because I'm in! If you have teens that enjoy these genres, the Dr. Genevieve Summerford Mysteries Series is totally appropriate for them.

Published by Sourcebooks Landmark, August 8, 2017
eARC obtained from Edelweiss
320 pages

Rating: 4/5





Back to Annette's Book Spot Homepage Copyright © 2017 Annette's Book Spot. All Rights Reserved

1 comment:

  1. This sounds like a good series and I like the cover even though I know that isn't supposed to matter :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I LOVE comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...