Monday, July 10, 2017

Book Review: Two Nights by Kathy Reichs

Book Cover and Review: Two Nights by Kathy Reichs
I'm a huge Tempe Brennan fan, and when I saw a book by Reichs that wasn't a Tempe novel, well, I was skeptical.  I shouldn't have been.  Reichs is a great storyteller, and I thoroughly enjoyed Two Nights.

Sunnie is an ex cop with issues.  As the story progresses, we learn of her very disturbing childhood in a cult.  But she's also a tough cookie, and when called upon to find the perpetrators of a heinous bombing of a Jewish school that happened years ago, she can't resist.  One of the victims of the bombing was a young girl who disappeared.

Sunnie is being bankrolled by the missing girl's grandmother, and her investigation takes her to several cities, and she in involved in several altercations with some very bad people.  Her life is in danger several times.  She eventually calls on her twin brother for backup.

The main character is well-developed and interesting.  I liked how we got chapters that were back in time, during her vary harrowing experiences in the cult and her escape.  The other characters are not as well defined, serving to support Sunnie and the plot.

The story unfolds with some unexpected plot twists.  The pacing is excellent, keeping the reader hooked as the tension ebbs and flows. The conclusion is realistic and mostly happy.

If you are a fan of Reichs, and even if you aren't, Two Nights is a worthwhile investment. I think teens will enjoy this one too.

Published by Bantam, July 11, 2017
eARC obtained from NetGalley
336 pages

Rating: 4/5





Back to Annette's Book Spot Homepage Copyright © 2017 Annette's Book Spot. All Rights Reserved

2 comments:

  1. There's something about a cult book that kind of fascinates me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed this one, too, although I still like the Tempe Brennan books better. I've heard this is a standalone, but I wouldn't mind seeing more of Sunnie & Co.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I LOVE comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...