Monday, August 7, 2017

Book Review: Scythe by Neal Shusterman

Scythe, by Neal Shusterman, book cover and review
I don't know what's the matter with me, but Scythe is yet another "did not finish" for me.

I really like the unique premise.  Since there is no more natural death by accident or disease, there are a group of people called Scythes that pick and choose which people must die to keep population growth to a minimum.  The story is about two teens that have been chosen to be trained to be Scythes.

I read half of Scythe and decided it was not for me.  I've been reading for over a week, and I'm only halfway through! I just keep finding things to do besides reading.  So, why?

I think one thing is the flippant, almost tongue-in-cheek tone of the story.  It almost seemed light and humorous at times.  I found this incongruous.  Secondly, I felt the pace really bogged down.  It was time for something to happen, and I was losing patience.

The premise is great, and I'm looking forward to the movie, but when I find myself hesitating to read, then I need to move on.

A couple of my book club kids really loved Scythe, so this is a "me, not the book" thing (and, after all, I'm not the intended audience.)

Published by Simon & Schuster BFYR, 2016
Copy obtained from the library
250/435 pages

Rating: DNF





Back to Annette's Book Spot Homepage Copyright © 2017 Annette's Book Spot. All Rights Reserved

4 comments:

  1. Nooo! I was looking forward to reading this one. I hope I like it more than you did.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed this book. It kept my interest, was a really quick read for me, and I'm looking forward to the sequel. Too bad it didn't work for you. When you find yourself avoiding reading, it's time to move on!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the plot twists kept this book moving for me. Just when I thought I had things figured out and didn't want to read on, wham-o, plot twist. Perhaps you never made it that far?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Shusterman, but SCYTHE really didn't do it for me either. It's sooooo long, for one thing, and it gets boring. The flippant tone you mentioned was a big turn-off for me, too. I finished the book, but I'm really not sure why I bothered! Bummer, because I really am a big Shusterman fan.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I LOVE comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...