Thursday, January 18, 2018

Book Review: The Grave's a Fine and Private Place, by Alan Bradley

The Grave's a Fine and Private Place by Alan Bradley book cover and review
It sounds like The Grave's a Fine and Private Place, at number nine, may be the final Flavia de Luce novel.  And I am so going to miss her!

If you are at all a fan of murder mysteries and haven't experienced Flavia, I strongly encourage you to pick one of these books up.  She's a very precocious and intelligent young lady that will keep you in stitches. Any fan of chemistry (and especially poisons) will fall in love.

In The Grave's a Fine and Private Place, Flavia and her sisters are on holiday with Dogger, the family servant.  It turns out Dogger is a pretty astute sleuth himself, and the pairing of Flavia and Dogger is priceless.

While in a rowboat on a river, Flavia sticks her hand in the water and comes up with a dead body.  Only Flavia! Of course, thus begins her relentless pursuit of the criminal, even though the local constable says this drowning was an accident.  Flavia is out to prove otherwise, and in the process, finds herself in grave danger (as usual.)

These stories never get old.  Each episode of Flavia's antics is new and exciting in its own way.  The chemistry and poisons are always different too!

I've already said it.  You need to experience these for yourself.  The first one is The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie, and it has won all sorts of awards. So it's not just me. I hardly ever re-read books, but I'm seriously considering starting at the beginning of Flavia's adventures again.

Published by Delacorte, January 30, 2018
eARC obtained from Edelweiss
384pages

Rating: 5/5





Back to Annette's Book Spot Homepage Copyright © 2018 Annette's Book Spot. All Rights Reserved

2 comments:

  1. Oh, I am adding this author and book number one to my TBR list, they sound really good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read the first three Flavia books then got derailed. I want to find my way back to her.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I LOVE comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...